Many patients who have cancer find that conventional treatments such as chemotherapy are causing too much pain and illness. Some may find IV therapy to be a way of reducing their dependence on these treatments. The IV therapy method is also known as Infusion Therapy because it involves administering fluids directly into the body through an IV attached to a vein. This article will discuss Whether a cancer patient can get IV therapy, what the benefits are, and if it is right for your cancer treatment.
Can a Cancer Patient Get IV Therapy?
Because cancer patients are typically deficient in their immune system, they can get IV therapy. The purpose of IV therapy is to assist the immune system. When chemotherapy drugs enter your body, they can cause damage to healthy cells and organs such as bone marrow and liver. As a result, cancer patients may experience severe side effects such as hair loss, extreme fatigue, lack of appetite, and weight loss. With IV therapy, a small amount of medication is administered directly into the bloodstream bypassing the digestive system. This allows patients to receive a concentrated dose of therapeutic agents directly absorbed into the bloodstream. The drugs are then delivered to the cancer cells for destruction.
Moreover, some cancer patients prefer IV therapy because it is a natural method that does not involve chemotherapy or radiation. As a result, treatments are safer, less invasive, and more comfortable than other approaches. For example, patients get IV therapy because they may have had radiation treatments that caused severe mouth sores or nausea from chemotherapy agents. This can make eating a very uncomfortable process. As a result, they can get involved in an IV therapy plan that uses high doses of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.
Benefits of IV Therapy
There are many benefits of using IV therapy, especially for cancer patients. They include:
- More Potent – IV therapy allows for a higher dose of a drug to be administered to the patient in a more concentrated form. This increase in concentration results in fewer side effects and toxicity.
- More Effective – When drugs are administered intravenously, they directly impact the patient’s system. This results in increased effectiveness and faster reactions to medications when compared to oral drugs or creams.
- Less Toxic – IV therapy is less toxic than other treatments. Side effects of IV therapy are often mild and only last as much as 30 minutes.
- Safe Relief of Symptoms – Many cancer patients experience a lack of appetite and weight loss due to chemotherapy. IV therapy helps alleviate these symptoms allowing the patient to continue with their cancer treatment.
- Less Cost – Cheaper alternative to conventional cancer treatments such as chemotherapy. Cancer patients can benefit greatly from IV therapy. However, it is only appropriate for certain cancer types such as leukemia, lymphoma and lymphatic diseases, and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
Safety and Side Effects of IV Therapy
- IV therapy is safe, except for some rare side effects. These include allergic reactions and pneumonia. In addition, certain medications may interfere with the effectiveness of IV therapy. For this reason, talk to your oncologist or nurse about any medications you are taking.
- Although IV therapy can be very effective in relieving the side effects of cancer chemotherapy or radiotherapy, it is not a long-term solution. Most studies have shown that while IV therapy can decrease symptoms and cancer cells in the body, it does not eliminate them. For this reason, I recommend using traditional methods of treating cancer such as surgery and radiation therapy along with IV therapy to improve your well-being significantly. -In addition, while treating cancer naturally with IV therapy, dietary choices will play a key role in your recovery. For instance, avoiding animal fats and high sugar foods may help stimulate your immune system.
If you are looking for an alternative cancer treatment method that can reduce the symptoms of side effects and boost your immune system, talk to your oncologist about the potential benefits of IV therapy.
In conclusion, if you are battling cancer, you may want to consider using IV therapy to help with your treatment. It can be a great way to strengthen your immune system and improve your quality of life. However, before you talk to your doctor about the possibility of getting IV therapy, read this article first. Call us at 205-352-9141.