Mold lives in the atmosphere and can harm your health when you have a specific allergy. There are several types of mold commonly found in houses where moisture and warm temperatures collide. If you are worried about mold exposure, you need to make sure you have identified the signs and symptoms associated with mold exposure. Among the symptoms of mold exposure are:
- Headaches and migraines
- Itchy eyes
The problem many of you have when you are affected by mold exposure is the common nature of the symptoms. Mold exposure symptoms mimic those of the common cold and allergies to pet dander. Mold exposure symptoms are so common they can easily be confused with those of other medical conditions. If you feel you have been exposed to mold and want to receive a diagnosis, you need to undergo medical testing. If you are worried about mold exposure in your home, you should start with a talk to your doctor about your fears. When your doctor agrees there is a risk of mold exposure, you will usually undergo one of two tests:
- Blood test
- Skin prick test
The skin prick test is the most common test you can undergo for mold exposure in your body. This test gives your doctor a glimpse into the mold allergies you can have. The first step is for your doctor to source the several forms of mold that could be causing your allergies and begin the test. The mold your doctor suspects is causing your allergies is rubbed onto the site of the skin prick. If your arm around the test site swells and you see hives, you will have an allergy to that kind of mold. In cases where you feel you have been affected by a mold allergy, you will first undergo the skin prick test. If your physician believes you are suffering from a mold allergy and has shown this through the skin prick test, you will move onto the blood test. The blood test will show whether you have a high level of certain antibodies associated with mold exposure. The blood test can take several days to reveal your results because your blood will be tested by a lab.
How to Treat Mold Exposure?
The results of your mold exposure tests will determine what steps your physician takes to treat your condition. Lifestyle changes can make a difference to your condition if you are facing problems with mold exposure. The first step you should look to take is to remove all the mold from your home to limit your exposure. When your physician has proven you are allergic to specific forms of black mold, you should take the necessary steps to remove it from your environment.
There are several options to consider if you are concerned about your level of mold exposure. Firstly, you should look for mold in the corners of your living area and underneath the wallpaper. If you discover an area of black mold covering more than ten feet in area, you should contact a professional cleaning service. Alongside making changes to your lifestyle, you can try to use over-the-counter medications to limit your symptoms. You should be aware, the long-term use of over-the-counter medications is not a solution to your problems, but it will relieve the symptoms while you look for the cause of your allergies. When you provide a blood sample to check for mold exposure, your physician is looking for mycotoxins in your body.
The presence of mycotoxins is the same as a mold inspector seeks out in the atmosphere. If your blood test shows you have mycotoxins in your blood, you should seek the help of a physician straight away. In most cases, your physician will complete a second test to check the accuracy of the first. The second test for mycotoxins can take the form of a urine sample or nasal swab. Once your physician has confirmed the presence of mycotoxins in your body, you will work together to create an effective treatment plan. Following the treatment plan is vital to returning to good health as quickly as possible. If you are concerned about mold exposure call our office at 205-352-9141 to discuss your case with our medical professionals.