Fungi are of many types, including mold. It grows in areas where there is high humidity, warmth, and darkness. This means that it can grow anywhere where these conditions are available, including your house. The growth of mold is more common inside buildings than outside. This is because it is rare for mold growth conditions to thrive in open environments where sunshine and wind are sufficient. However, you can still find mold in outdoor areas.
Almost everyone can identify mold at first glance. Have you stored bread for too long? How do the slices look after the period? Do you notice a fur-like green or black stain on the slices? If so, then this is mold. Mold can have many colors other than black or green. It can be brown or white as well. The growth of mold in your home poses a significant health problem. This is because exposure to mold of any type has some consequences. Mold exposure is risky for people with an allergy since mold is a common allergen. Additionally, it causes serious health problems in people with a weak immune system and respiratory system problems.
Health problems of mold exposure.
Health problems from mold exposure are myriad. Mold generally increases your risk of infections by bacteria and fungi. The below are the main health problems you are likely to experience as a result of mold exposure:
- Allergic reactions.
Some people’s immune system is sensitive to mold exposure. The immune system perceives the mold as dangerous and reacts in various ways. The symptoms of this allergic reaction to mold exposure are similar to symptoms of hayfever or allergic rhinitis. They include a runny nose, watery eyes, an itchy nose, nose congestion, and sneezing. You are more susceptible to a mold allergy if you are asthmatic.
- Breathing problems.
Mold exposure can also cause some breathing problems. The dump nature of mold makes them susceptible to breakdown. As such, mold can break down into several particles. The smaller the particle, the larger the volume of the mold particles in the air. You then breathe in these particles, which can irritate your lungs to cause breathing problems. People with lung conditions like asthma are prone to these breathing problems.
Aspergillus is a serious type of mold that causes aspergillosis. The spores of this mold are harmless in healthy individuals. However, they are seriously harmful to people with a weak immune system. They can also cause a severe reaction in people with lung conditions. Aspergillosis usually presents with breathing problems and coughs. Mold exposure can cause many diseases. Since the exposure is usually through the air you breathe, it mainly affects the respiratory system. Other conditions resulting from mold exposure include bronchitis, allergic fungal sinusitis, allergic alveolitis, et cetera.
Treatment of mold exposure.
The treatment of mold exposure revolves around alleviating symptoms of the exposure. A variety of drugs can be used to alleviate the allergic-like symptoms mentioned earlier. Categories of drugs used include:
When it comes to allergy symptoms, antihistamines are considered first-line agents. This is because they prevent the production of histamine from mast cells. Histamine is responsible for most mold exposure symptoms like watery eyes, itchy nose, and a runny nose. The use of these drugs relieves such symptoms.
- Antifungal drugs.
These drugs are crucial for patients with weak immune systems. Fungal infections from mold exposure can spread in the body. This is because the immune system of the patient is incapable of preventing its spread. These patients, therefore, need antifungal agents to prevent worsening of the disease and the symptoms.
- Nasal decongestants.
Decongestants like pseudoephedrine can help prevent symptoms of nose congestion. They relieve nasal swelling to achieve this.
- Allergy shots.
Allergy shots are recommended for people with a mold allergy. The shots are given regularly to reduce the hyperactivity of your immune system after mold exposure. The health complications of mold exposure are best handled through the prevention of exposure. You can achieve this by frequently dusting and cleaning all corners of your home, lowering the humidity in your house, and using air conditioners to purify the air you breathe.
If you notice mold growing in your home or office, take precautionary measures when removing it to prevent exposure to the mold. Vital Force is specialized in toxicity due to mold exposure. Our team of health experts conducts a series of laboratory tests to determine the level of toxicity you have incurred. We will then take the necessary steps in treating your condition. We also advise you on how you can prevent such problems. If you need an appointment, call us on 205-352-9141.