Recent years have seen an absolute boom in the popularity of new medical procedures that are accessible to average, everyday people. One such procedure is to have vitamins directly injected into patient’s bodies intravenously, a process usually referred to as IV vitamin therapy. Although this type of treatment has become increasingly more common, people are still generally in the dark about how it works.
How Does IV Vitamin Therapy Work?
Often used as an addition to holistic treatment plans, IV vitamin therapy involves placing a needle in the vein of a patient which is connected through a tube to a water-based vitamin solution. This solution can contain any number of vitamins and minerals of varying concentrations. As vitamins are directly injected, they are able to be absorbed very easily by the human body and in substantial amounts, with upwards of 90% of injected material being utilized. Typically, medical tests will be conducted to screen for health conditions and vitamin levels to determine an appropriate mode of treatment. A pharmacist will compose a vitamin mixture based on the results and corresponding healthcare needs and the injection will be overseen by a qualified medical professional.
What’s the Biggest Difference Between IV and Orally-Taken Vitamins?
While there are no molecular differences between vitamins taken intravenously and vitamins consumed orally, there are some pretty big differences in terms of convenience and effectiveness.
Intravenous vitamins require a specialized setup and qualified professionals to be administered. It also requires a major vein to be pierced for an extended period of time, which may be uncomfortable for some people. However, IV vitamins can be highly specialized to suit your particular healthcare needs and they’re almost completely absorbed by your body. IV vitamins are also absorbed very quickly when compared to other methods of nutrient delivery, meaning you’ll feel their effects within a short period of time.
Vitamin supplements in the form of pills are the go-to option for most people looking to boost their nutrient intake. They’re easily accessible and can be taken without much hassle. That being said, there are a lot of limitations to taking oral supplements, especially if you have digestive issues. Doses are predetermined through pill size, some pills might be difficult to consume, only a fraction of vitamins are absorbed through digestion, and the effects of vitamin intake could possibly take days or even weeks to be felt.
Benefits of IV Vitamin Therapy
There are a long-list of benefits to IV vitamin therapy, including:
- Improved Hydration: The infusion of either water or a saline solution and crucial vitamins being injected directly into the bloodstream means your body will become well-hydrated very quickly, resulting in much healthier bodily functioning.
- Better Skin: IV vitamins mixed with high water content will saturate the cells in your skin exceptionally well, resulting in a vibrant and full look. This increased hydration also decreases rates of cell death and replication, which in the long-term can reduce the visible effects of aging.
- Long-Lasting Effects: IV vitamin therapy causes a surge of vital nutrients to enter your body and makes sure stores of important vitamins are kept for long periods of time. Compared to other methods, intravenous vitamin delivery has a tendency to produce more long-lasting results, allowing you to avoid having to constantly think about vitamin intake and helping you feel better for longer.
- Treatment for Certain Conditions: Particular medical conditions have been shown to improve through the use of IV vitamin therapy. Health issues such as migraines, fibromyalgia, asthma, chronic fatigue, and mild to moderate allergies are frequently seen to get better in patients who receive vitamins intravenously.
- Bypassing Digestive Problems: There are any number of conditions which can severely impact your ability to absorb nutrients through digestion. It might be very difficult, or even sometimes impossible, to receive adequate levels of vitamins through food and oral supplements alone. IV vitamin therapy largely bypasses this problem by eliminating the need for digestion and skipping straight to absorption.
Is It an Appropriate Option for You?
IV vitamin therapy is considered to be a must-have addition to healthy functioning by many and numerous people swear by its life-changing potential. Whether you’re looking to just encourage your own well-being or you have a serious health issue that affects our day-to-day life, IV vitamin therapy might be an appropriate solution for you. If you’re interested in the treatment or have any questions about it, don’t hesitate to contact us at 205-352-9141.